That’s the best way to start run commuting
How do you start run commuting? Well, you just do. The glory of running is that it can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Especially run commuting has some amazing benefits! IAMRUNBOX has some tips for you on how to go ahead with run commuting.
Take it easy - the simplest way to start run commutingLet’s start with the simplest way of run commuting: running home. There are only 4 steps you need to have in mind:
- Travel to work as usual, taking your car or public transport.
- After work, change into your running gear and pack your things.
- Run home.
- Feel satisfied.
Taking a closer look at run commutingNow as you know the basic framework, you need to think about the details since these are essentials for your success. Here are our top tips for your first run commute:
- Pick one day per week and stick to it.
- Pack your running gear the day before.
- Find the right backpack.
- Think about how to carry your daily essentials.
- Leave unnecessary things at home.
- Check the route you want to run.
- Identify any points where you could switch to public transport up if needed.
- Always take your credit card, ticket and phone with you - just in case.
- Eat something light that is fine for your stomach 1-2 hours before you leave.
- Avoid great plans for the evening of your first run commute. This way you can take your time.
- Get home, grab some food and have a nice evening.
What to pack
- Running gadgets such as your shoes and sportswear
- Phone and earphones if you like listening to music
- Work related stuff like your laptop and charge
- Door keys
- Lunch box and snacks
- Water bottle to keep you hydrated
- Waterproof jacket for rainy days
- Reflective tape or a reflective vest for safety reasons
- In case you run TO work: shower essentials, toiletries, extra set of clothes, lunch box and snacks
The right backpack
The right backpack for run commuting should be lightweight and ergonomic. Furthermore, make sure the backpack has some kind of anti-bounce technology to avoid annoying movements. You should also check if the bag fits all your daily essentials. If you plan to run in the rain as well, a water resistant material is recommendable. By the way, Core77, Red Bull and Coach Mag really like our running backpack!
If you have found the right backpack for you, make sure to pack smart! Leave unnecessary things at home since they will only weigh you down. Another important thing to keep is your mind is how to pack your business attire. Shirts get wrinkled easily, so cramming them into a normal running backpack is probably not the best idea. Check out some tips to keep your clothes wrinkle free on the go here.
More tips for run commuters
- Invest in high-quality equipment like shoes, sportswear and backpacks.
- Give your running equipment a proper road test - especially when it is new - before going on a run commute. Uncomfortable clothes or hurting shoes is very annoying on the go.
- Boost your motivation by listening to your favourite songs.
- IAMRUNBOX Pro Tip: Spotify has some great running playlists where the number of BPM is considered.
- Wear a top or jacket that is long enough to cover your bum to avoid that the backpack is rubbing against the bare skin.
- Check the next shower option in case you also like to replace your morning commute.
- IAMRUNBOX Pro Tip: Hair up and dry shampoo will be a lifesaver.
- Take it easy! Be careful of your pace and don’t overdo it in the beginning. There is no need to proof that you are the toughest guy, so relax and enjoy every run!
Run commuting is really easy! But failure to prepare is preparation to fail. So really plan ahead and make sure that the logistics and the organization work well for you. You will figure out the other things over time.
Happy run commuting!